Saturday, November 21, 2009

Our First Day at Work

Our first day at work was the Friday right before Halloween, so the day consisted of a Halloween party and many games. I'd say one of the highlights was watching the children compete for the best mummy wrap... Pin the tail on the cat was another favorite. In one of the pictures you see "Adrian teacher" dressed up as a scuba diver, and also "Lisa teacher" one of our three Korean coworkers. The age range of our students is mainly mid to late elementary (Ken having the youngest group - they are insane!) and then Middle School. For the most part they are good students, and discipline problems are fairly minimal. The rigor of their studies is rare to find in the states. Most students go to school for the normal 8 hour period, then go off to various academies in the evenings... We have students at our school until 9PM! Their homework load is enormous and they even regularly attend public school on some Saturdays. It seems to me that they live, and breathe schoolwork. I wonder if this is one of the main reasons crime is so low here... Maybe they are just too busy and work-focused to get into more distracting and less productive pursuits? I don't know.



4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe that they go to school for so long in one day! Sam's bed time is 8pm! That is a good point about the low crime levels being linked to the amount of schooling... I think you may be on to something. Well, the Halloween party looks fun and the kids look like they are having a blast. I don't know why I thought that you would be teaching adults... I guess I assumed and never asked. That is amazing that they can cram so much information in elementary! Well, I love you and am glad that you guys seem to be doing well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are going to be getting such a workout! I hope that somewhere in the middle of all of it you can make a pumpkin pie and eat some chicken and imagine it is turkey! I always loved the overseas holiday improvise. It helped us to distill the important stuff out of crazy holidays. We are thankful for you and happy you get this opportunity. Will pray that God will make himself very real to you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Melissa and Ginger! So good to hear from you. I was praying and giving thanks for you both and your families yesterday! Ginger you are absolutely right - it was a very scaled back Thanksgiving and pretty much the only thing left was a day full of thanks-giving. It was a wonderful day and the Lord DID feel very near - so your prayer was answered! Thank you!
    Melissa! I kept trying to post a reply to your last comment but it kept failing for some reason... Anyhow - I still don't know about shipping regulations... hrmmm. I'll have to get on that! Hope you guys had a wonderful thanksgiving! Sending my love right back at'chya! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...can't figure out how to post comments as "krystin"... it declines me!

    ReplyDelete